Maintaining a fish pond is not like keeping fish in an aquarium or any reservoir, equipment, special food and of course the right kind of fish are needed to create a pond. So if you have enough space and want to make a fish pond, read some of these instructions related to choosing, cleaning, feeding, medication advice and plant selection in the pond.
The choice of fish for a pond
The first step is, choose the type of fish for your pond. Not all species adapt to living in this new habitat, only a special type of fish can achieve it. They are:
1. Goldfish Orandas
2. Goldfish Comet
3. Goldfish Koi
It is important to keep in mind that the queues of fans and kites should not remain together, while koi and kites can be kept in the same pond.
The choice of plants for a pond
Placing some plants in the pond is a good option to provide some beauty and shade to the environment of our pets. You can use any of the following:
1. Four-leaf mottled aquatic clover (Marsilea mutica), has floating leaves and dark green foliage with red trim. Provides shade and shelter for pond fish.
2. Water swab. It is an aquatic herb with fleshy leaves and emits a lemon scent.
3. Water lily, looks bright and beautiful in a koi fish pond. Its flowers appear in the summer, are yellow although they change to intense orange and emit a pleasant fragrance from the third day.
Feeding the fish in a pond
You must be thinking how to feed your fish, you can help with these basic tips.
1. Feed them with floating foods.
2. Never supply any food that can sink.
3. Provide small pieces.
4. Avoid leaving food scraps in the pond, remove them with a net after about 10 minutes.
Pond cleaning equipment
It is very important to use the proper cleaning equipment, since your pond will have a natural tendency to be dirty.
1. Scrubber: uses a large suction hose and a vacuum to remove debris, such as algae and decaying leaves. You must have a powerful engine.
2. Aerator: helps to oxygenate the pond from the bottom up. In the cold months it provides a hole at the top and prevents the environment from freezing.
3. Net: protects fish from unwanted predators, such as cats and raccoons. It should be placed preferably throughout the year.
4. Bacteria for ponds: they are a kind of microbial army that protects the pond and helps with its cleaning, since they feed on fallen leaves and other organic waste.
Appropriate medications for use in a fish pond
These are some of the suggested medications for preventive and curative purposes within a pond.
1. Eliminator of ammonia in crystals: eliminates ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. It is safe for plants and a pond with koi fish.
2. Crystal clear products: Eliminates parasites, protozoa, bacteria and fungi. It works well in ponds with koi fish and goldfish. Regulate the pH and add electrolytes to the pond.
5. Melafix for pond care: all natural, antibacterial for the treatment of diseases in goldfish and koi fish, such as eye cloud, mouth fungus, fin and tail rot. It is a safe product for snails and other invertebrates.
Other important aspects of fish care
1. You should change 20% of pond water twice a week.
2. When using a water pump to drain the water from the pond be sure to protect the hole to prevent the fish from being sucked.
3. After removing 20% of the water, fill with tap water. There is no need to add conditioner to water.